Problem with mod_python and 4Suite

Doug Farrell writeson at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 8 08:49:51 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a demonstration website using mod_python and
4Suite to show how we could transform XML documents into HTML with
XSLT. Here is a piece of code that causes it to blow up:

            # import the xml/xslt stuff here
            from xml.xslt.Processor import Processor

            # create a xslt processor
            xsltProc = Processor()

            # transform the xml text into html
            xsltProc.appendStylesheetUri(filepath)
            html = xsltProc.runString(xmltext)

Here is the trace I get in the browser when I run this code:

Mod_python error: "PythonHandler mod_python.publisher"

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line
285, in HandlerDispatch
    result = object(req)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mod_python/publisher.py",
line 175, in handler
    result = apply(object, (), args)

  File "/data/cs/handlers/gme.py", line 61, in search
    return  _transform(xmldata, filepath)

  File "/data/cs/handlers/gme.py", line 105, in _transform
    from xml.xslt.Processor import Processor

  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_xmlplus/xslt/__init__.py",
line 19, in ?
    pyxml_required = version.StrictVersion(Ft.__pyxml_version__)

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '__pyxml_version__'

Does anyone have any suggestions, or just even general advice on using
4Suite with mod_python? I'd be very interested to hear them.

I'm running this on a Dell 2550 server with RedHat linux 8.0, Python
2.2.1, PyXML 0.8.3 and 4Suite 1.0.a*

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug Farrell