method (a, b = '', *c, **d): gets a syntax error?

Andreas Neudecker a.neudecker at
Fri Aug 29 16:33:49 CEST 2003

I am relatively new to Python and I have a strange problem with some
code. In a class the __call__ method gets parameters like this:

class WhatsUp:
     __call__ (
            var2 = '',

I always get an error for the **moreNamedVars, line where the '^' points
at the comma at the end (or, if I remove the comma, it points at the
colon). I also tried commenting-out the other variables passed to the
method. Same result.
I assumed the order of variables and variable lists of variables had to
be like this? What is wrong?

Kind regards