Python newbie help

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Aug 21 03:50:24 EDT 2003

s wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:28:06 +0000 (UTC), Duncan Booth
> <duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>stephen at hostwiththemost.net (s) wrote in
>>news:87fa5cfa.0308181126.c61bfa2 at posting.google.com:
>>
>>> I've recently been very interested in learning Python but I seem to
>>> lack direction while reading the tutorials.  I understand the syntax
>>> and everything concerning the language itself but the tutorials I have
>>> seen are merely displaying features of the language rather than
>

> Thanks for the help.  I will definitely look into these links very
> hard but I must point out that I'm not a teenager or a beginner
> programmer, just someone who has lost motivation to learn but would
> like to get it back.
>
> I just get bored with examples that don't really contribute to a
> program or the like.  Thanks for the link.

If you're keen on books that present actual, biggish, substantial
programs as the examples, try Magnue Lie Hetland's "Practical Python",
APress -- I personally prefer toy-level examples (which Magnus has
in the first half of his book -- the significant programs make up
the second half) but MLH did a great job working the "real" things
out.  Don't think the book's available anywhere online, though.

Alex