What's better about Ruby than Python?

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at comcast.net
Mon Aug 18 04:30:22 EDT 2003

> > Try the languages out yourself, both of them; program a non-trivial
> > application in both languages.
>
> I frankly don't have the time, and am not afraid to leverage other people's
> experiences to some degree.
>
> > Exactly: so don't ask for others' ideas.
>
> You have a profound difference of philosophy that I don't share.  You seem
> to think other people's opinions are all or nothing.

these two statements are the crux of the problem.

If you joined a Chevy car mailing list and asked "what is better about Ford
than Chevy?" would you expect to hear intelligent, insightful responses?
Perhaps you would receive good answers, perhaps not.  But if you never
actually looked at a Ford how would you know?

You see, by asking here you have people who have already decided against Ruby
for whatever reason.  All we can give you is our reasons for not choosing it.
For balance you would HAVE to ask the Ruby people why they chose it over
something like Python.

Stating "well I just don't have time and would like others to decide for me"
just won't get you very far.  Might as well being asking the group to finish
your homework assignments.

BTW, my reason, like many here is Ruby looks like Perl and I prefer Python's
syntax and design approach.  Not a very scientific reason, about the same as
saying "well, I like blue ones more than red ones".