packaging windows services?

max max at nospam.com
Mon Aug 4 11:31:19 EDT 2003

Hi all,
trying to package a windows service into a standalone (no full python
install needed)
py2exe works well, except that it only appears to support 'manual start'
service option and only under default accont. What py2exe appears to do
is to ignore the win32serviceutil.HandleCommandLine(MyService) in the
main and just use the class (hence the classname requirement on the
command line) with its own options. The advantage of this approach is
that it does not require PythonService.exe.
McMillan does not appear to support services directly. But I do wonder
if I can combine the exe produced by McMillan with PythonService.exe to
get something working.
The other approach is to dig into the py2exe source and swap the manual
start for automatic.
suggestions?