ftp get from a Tkinter gui: advice wanted

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Aug 16 00:36:55 CEST 2003

"Russell E. Owen" <rowen at cesmail.net> writes:

> I'm writing a Tkinter app (telescope remote controller). The application
> presently runs on unix and MacOS X and I think some users will want to
> use Windows. It's going just fine, but I'm trying to add the ability to
> automatically get images via binary ftp (i.e. as each image is recorded)
> and am realizing it's harder than I though.
> Ideally, I'd like image download to work like a typical web browser
> download: a status window that shows each transfer, how far along it is,
> allows the user to cancel it, etc.

Not sure what "as each image is recorded" refers to, but if you want
to grab files via ftp, is there anything wrong with (in a separate
thread, I suppose):

import urllib2

At a lower level, there's ftplib of course.

If you don't mind pulling in more code, no doubt Twisted could do this
just as simply too, and, I imagine, wouldn't need to use a separate
thread (never used it, but I know it has support for various common
GUI event loops).