Python vs. C#

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Tue Aug 12 14:56:07 EDT 2003

Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 02:03:58AM -0700, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>> Joe Cheng wrote:
>>>
>>> Python has dynamic strong typing.  So, if you can keep the types of
>>> your objects straight without the help of the compiler, you get the
>>> benefits of a concise syntax while enjoying type safety at runtime.
>>
>> And how, in a large scale industrial systems context, are you
>> supposed to ensure that Joe Programmer doesn't in fact screw it up?
>
> By writing tests.

Compiler checking is a kind of test that is done for you all the time,
without you having to reimplement it over and over again.  I agree that
people should write tests, but having written many, many of those for my own
project, it is equally true that writing test cases slows down development.
Anything that provides testing "for free" is a boon.

> Besides, if you don't trust the "Joe Programmer"s of your team to
> write code competently, I suspect your project is doomed already.

Big projects are filled with the bell curve.  Not to mention stress under
deadlines, which ruins the code of even good programmers.

20% of the world is real.