makepy must be run after restart of pythonwin

Bob Gailer bgailer at
Wed Aug 6 18:23:59 CEST 2003

At 05:02 PM 8/6/2003 +0200, bk wrote:

>i'm using pythonwin 2.2.3
>my programm reads and write the outlook-adress book using COM. for this i
>have to use the makepy utility. after i have run the utiltity everything is
>fine and i can run my py-file without any errors.
>but if i close the pythonwin and restart and then try to run my py-script i
>get the following error:
>File "C:\Program Files\Python22\", line 45, in
>     folder =
>   File "C:\PROGRA~1\Python22\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\",
>line 168, in __getattr__
>     raise AttributeError, a
>AttributeError: olFolderContacts

I suggest you examine the attributes of win32com.client.constants. Perhaps
there is a case sensitivity issue. makepy can cause attributes that were
previously case insensitive to become case sensitive.

I also recall somewhere a discussion about win32com.client.constants not
being populated immediately. Consider waiting a moment after dispaching.

Bob Gailer
bgailer at
303 442 2625