Py2.3: Feedback on Sets

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Aug 13 20:07:49 CEST 2003

    Russell> I suspect the upgrade issue will significantly slow the
    Russell> incorporation of sets and the other new modules, but that over
    Russell> time they're likely to become quite popular. I am certainly
    Russell> looking forward to using sets and csv.

The csv module (and the _csv module which underpins it) should work with
2.2.3.  If they don't, please file a bug report.

    Russell> I think it'd speed the adoption of new modules if they were
    Russell> explicitly written to be compatible with one previous
    Russell> generation of Python (and documented as such) so users could
    Russell> manually include them with their code until the current
    Russell> generation of Python had a bit more time to be adopted.

That was the intention with the csv module.  I wonder if some limitations to
use of sets with 2.2.x could be gotten around by adding a __future__ import?
Maybe itertools is also needed.

    Russell> I'm not saying this should be a rule, only suggesting it as a
    Russell> useful goal. Presumably it'd be easy with some modules and not
    Russell> worth the work in some cases.

Yes, that's a worthwhile goal.

Skip