Rebol Size

Rodrigo Benenson rodrigob at elo.utfsm.cl
Mon Aug 25 18:41:19 EDT 2003

www.rebol.com

Rebol offers a free (non-opensource) platform to devellop internet enabled
application.
It is a modern scripting language with objects, a huge list of base types
and a very very clean syntax. It is full multiplaftorm.
Rebol is able to manage 14 internet protocols (http, ftp, dns, finger,
whois, pop, smtp, etc...) , offer data storage and reading, is able to
manage various compression formats, various image file format (bmp, gif,
png, jpg, etc...) and has a very very easy to use graphic interface
construction dialect.
His syntax allow to devellop simple dialects to extend the language on some
specific application domains (example: there is a dialect for creating
plots).
As everything is internet enable is allow easy collaboration and
comunication between clients.

Everything until now can be rivalized by Python. My point is:

All of the above comes the 500 Kb Rebol/View distribution !!

 (for the most common platforms)

To do the same thing in python I would need:

Python (>5 Mb)
Twisted (>5 Mb)
Imaging (>400Kb)
More than 10 Mb

Ok, python probably is a little faster and is a programming language, not a
scripting one.

But how to explain such a difference ?

Rodrigo Benenson.