Win32 documentation in CHM?

logistix at cathoderaymission.net logistix at cathoderaymission.net
Sun Aug 31 14:39:22 EDT 2003

Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<CDURXJA3QHU$EwUz at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk>...
> It seems the Gods are proposing to distribute the documentation and help
> for Python-2.3.1 in .chm form. I particularly detest .chm and much
> prefer .html as it works across all platforms. Additionally by having a
> single index.html for all of the various bits of Python help I can link
> in things like Pmw, PIL and Quick Guide etc with a simple text editor.
>
> The argument is made that .chm is a better mechanism (more searchable
> indexable etc) for help/documentation than html. Is that really so? HTML
> is at least an open standard.

I don't think there is any intention to discontinue generation of
HTML, PDF, and other formats of the documentation.  You can currently
get it here:

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/doc/2.3/

and presumably http://www.python.org/ftp/python/doc/2.3.1/ once it's
released.

They are just changing the Windows default install to provide standard
Windows help files.

Windows is currently the only platform where documentation is
installed by default.  A standard 'make && make install' on ohter
doesn't do anything with the documentation.  Everyone else has to
download it anyways, or use the magical incantations necessary to
generate it from the LaTeX source.