email client written with python + wxWindows

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Thu Aug 7 17:09:14 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:11:52PM -0700, Shagshag wrote:
> does anyone know of a full python + wxWindows email client ?

I wrote GBMail for my own use. I like it a lot. It likely wouldn't
suit anyone else but writing it was sure a fun way to learn Python. I
haven't posted the source anywhere but I'd be happy to share it with
anyone interested.

I used Python, wxPython, and my own SWIG wrapper for the UW Imap
client library.

It has automagic completion on email addresses, on-the-fly spell
checking in composition windows, html display using IE embedded in a
window, fast full-text search of all my email messages, some tricks
for handling attachments, and other stuff I can't think of now.

I looked at all the email clients and they were all broken in one
way or another. I figure there must be some constant of brokenness for
email programs. GBMail is broken too, just not in ways that bother me
:-)

gb