ProtoCiv: porting Freeciv to Python

Mark Carter cartermark46 at ukmail.com
Thu Dec 25 06:17:10 EST 2003

> - FWIW I'm a proponent of MIT / BSD style "do whatever you want with it"
> open source licenses, not GPL.  I believe if you're going to give something

Microsoft have always complained that GPL-ish licences "infect"
everything they touch (yes, yes, I'm perfectly aware of the irony). I
was thinking that, if more stuff was released into the Public Domain -
then that would be a good thing. It might actually be a benefit for
Microsoft to rip off good quality PD work. If they got it for free,
then they might be less inclined to roll there own "feature rich"
solutions, and instead opt for a more conventional approach.

There might be a chance - and of course I emphasis the word "might" -
that they would contribute, in some small way, to ongoing PD efforts.
After all, if they though that they could get someone to effectively
work on their product for free, then they might be a bit more
forthcoming.

Just an opinion.