Python in a spreadsheet

Jere Kahanpaa kahanpaa at gstar.astro.helsinki.fi
Tue Dec 16 11:18:20 EST 2003

Thomas Guettler <guettli at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
> Depending on your problem, I would suggest to use
> XML instead. I think it is more stable to export
> the office file to XML, process it with your script,
> and import it again. The remote procedure call solutions
> (COM, pyUNO) don't scale well.

Note that the OpenOffice.org native format (sx? files) are nothing but
zipped XML files:

[kahanpaa at nosuchaddress ~/diptera]$ unzip -l brachycera.sxc
Archive:  brachycera.sxc
  Length     Date   Time    Name
 --------    ----   ----    ----
       28  12-09-03 17:37   mimetype
   281295  12-09-03 17:37   content.xml
    29859  12-09-03 17:37   styles.xml
     1007  12-09-03 17:37   meta.xml
     8779  12-09-03 17:37   settings.xml
      750  12-09-03 17:37   META-INF/manifest.xml
   321718                   6 files

You could manipulate them directly using Python's XML facilities.

Jere
--
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for one day I may have to eat them
                                                           - Daryl Benson