[Mailman-Developers] python is slow

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Mon Dec 29 14:36:02 EST 2003

"Bernhard Kuemel" <darsie at gmx.at> wrote in message
news:mailman.14.1072720549.8134.python-list at python.org...

> Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 14:52, Bernhard Kuemel wrote:
> >

> Someone on mailman-developers at python.org then was interested in
> "convincing evidence" that python is slower than perl. But as we
> agree that such evidence is difficult to produce and does not
> mean much I cited Eric Stephen Raymond's book "The art of unix
> programming" where he says ...
>
> "In fact it's generally thought to be the least efficient and
> slowest of the major scripting languages, a price it pays for
> runtime type polymorphism." I originally quoted the whole
> paragraph to be fair.

I have some vague memories of a speed comparison
done in conjunction with a programming problem or
challenge. Python seemed to be pretty similar to
Perl, and lots better than TCL. However, that's memory,
and I don't have the reference to hand. Someone else
might. The comparison included C++, Java and the
rest of the usual suspects. I believe REXX was the
real dog, though.

John Roth