How to share 3rd-party modules between 2.2 and 2.3?

Michael Hudson mwh at
Thu Dec 4 14:53:24 CET 2003

Matthew Wilson <matt at> writes:

> I have Red Hat 9 installed, which uses python2.2 for lots of system
> tasks.  I also installed 2.3 using the rpms available from
> I want to write some CGI scripts that use pgdb.  I want to write the
> python scripts using python2.3, but the file is in
> /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages
> which is not part of sys.path in python2.3.  What is the best way of
> sharing these modules?

I'd recommend against it.  The bytecode is different between 2.2 and
2.3, so the .pycs alongside the source files will only be useful for
one install.  And while binary compatibility of C extensions is fairly
likely, it's not total.

> Does anyone have a better idea?

Just install pgdb again.

  It could be argued that since Suitespot is infinitely terrible,
  that anything else, by very definition of being anything else,
  is infinitely superior.                -- ".", alt.sysadmin.recovery