Python for web ?

Jay O'Connor joconnor at cybermesa.com
Mon Dec 1 17:20:26 CET 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:

>Jay O'Connor wrote:
>

>>black wrote:
>>

>>>Howdy everyone~
>>>
>>>i heard Python could be used in web programming and aftering searching
>>>many docs just found something on Python and CGI. the fact is i know
>>>nothing about CGI and most of my projects(both of company and myself)
>>>are established with PHP and ASP. now the questions come:
>>>
>>>1. Could Python be used in web programming ? (i guess yes ?)
>>>2. If the answer of above is yes, then can we programms with Python in
>>>both server and client side or either ?
>>>

>>If by 'client side' you mean 'Python embedded in the HTML page' like
>>PHP, I think it's possible but I tend to avoid it.
>>

>Isn't that quite clearly *server-side*, not client side?  AFAIK, all
>PHP pages have the server doing the page generation, not the client.

Yeah, it's still server side as far as where the processing is done.
Since the OP point of reference was ASP and PHP, neither of which are
true client-side technologies either, I made the assumption that by
'client-side' he was thinking in terms of the client presentation

>Client-side would be like Java or Javascript is typically used.  The
>answer is still "yes", but it's really not a workable solution in
>general because (a) the client machine needs Python installed and
>registered for COM stuff, and (b) there are serious security concerns
>doing this since Python doesn't have the security restrictions that
>Javascript and Java do.

Correct, my other fav language is Smalltalk and there are a few plugins
for client side Smalltalk as well, but since they require users to
download a plugin, I really don't see them as valid development models
other than for internal usage for a paricular business or something, not
general internet usage.

>>First off, for any
>>such HTML embedded scripting you have to have a server that while parse
>>and execute the script.  A lot of ISPs offer that for PHP but I'm not
>>sure about for Python. More importantly, though, I'm not a big fan of
>>the architecture of having HTML code interspersed with script coding.  I
>>think you'd end up with a better software design with a normal
>>CGI-template approach
>>

>Agreed on all that...

Back in the early 90s it seemed people were starting to take good
software design, OOA and OOD, seperation of "Human Interface" from
"Business Domain" etc...seriously.   Then the web got big and all that
seemed to go out the window..