Case sensitive and ludicrous statements

rzed Dick.Zantow at lexisnexis.com
Wed Dec 10 13:31:44 EST 2003

Douglas Alan wrote:
> "rzed" <Dick.Zantow at lexisnexis.com> writes:

[...]
>> The reason people chose to mix their cases is that one-case code is
>> difficult to read.
>
> no it isn't.  it isn't even difficult to read one-case english.

so you say, and you illustrate by showing one line.
but if instead you have a block of a lot of text,
or if you have code that is placed
in close proximity for line after line
you may have reason to think otherwise. i know
i did in the monocase pl/i world and i was not alone
in that; everyone else in the shop complained about
it from time to time. it is never an issue that a single
identifier is easier or more difficult to read in a single case;
it is an issue when the context is broader. a secondary issue
is that underscores require the use of the shift key on a
standard typewriter so they are no easier to enter than
upper case letters and they add no information that the
interspersed capitals do not. whether they make text easier
to read than camelcase stuff is a matter of opinion and is
based on what people are used to. i went from one form to
the other and had no trouble adjusting; it took very little time
for me to come to prefer camelcase. judging by its prevalence
in a big chunk of the coding world, others have managed to
make the same adjustment, and i would guess at least many
of them have the same preference.

--
rzed