web programming: experiences with non-zope frameworks?

Brendan O'Connor brendano at stanford.edu
Sun Dec 21 13:44:29 EST 2003

> I'll give some heretical advice: if
> you're doing a big project, set aside some of the development time to
> evaluate what's out there and adopt or develop something that's best
> for your specific needs, with the understanding that you're going to
> have to maintain it yourself.  If you're doing a small project and
> can't afford to set aside that much time, then hold your nose and
> write in PHP or even Perl (HTML::Mason is an impressive package if you
> don't mind the cancer that is Perl, so it would be great if someone
> wrote something like it for Python).

That's certainly a shame to hear.  I'm very concerned that any given
python framework I'd choose might not be around a few years from now; it
seems that none of them have the popularity needed to sustain a large
community to test and achieve maturity, write books and top-quality
documentation, etc.

-Brendan

On 20 Dec 2003, it was written: