ANN: Twisted 1.1.1

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Thu Dec 11 06:10:13 EST 2003

[Jarek]
> Most of the world still blocks execution with synchronous sockets. Event
> driven programming is not a wholly accepted idea.

I just came across this in Moshe Zadka's blog.  Not strictly relevant but
it made me smile:

"The correct way to explain [async programming] is as some kind of Zen,
and even Buddhism.

In order to program on the network, which is filled by buggy and evil
agents, one must give up all expectations. One must sit quietly, without
desires to plague the flesh, quietly meditating. Only when an event is
received, one must react to it, and then get back to meditating. In this
way, enlightment is achieved. This is why async systems have no read()
call. Reading from the network means you have expectations of what will
arrive. If it doesn't, your hopes are shattered. If you have no hopes to
shatter, you cannot be disappointed."

(Whether, like a lot of Eastern philosophy, the truth of that can only be
appreciated by people who have *already* achieved async enlightenment, I
don't know. 8-)

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com