dynamic typing question

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Fri Dec 26 12:40:11 EST 2003

"Jason Tesser" <JTesser at nbbc.edu> wrote in message
news:mailman.119.1072457194.684.python-list at python.org...
Hi,

<snip>

> Along with everything others have already written--that
> you want to focus on test-driven development, that Python
> is a proven success in Serious Applications, and so on--
> your description raises a few concerns in my mind:
> 1.  Why, in your mind or your teammate's,
>     is dynamic typing a "lack"?  What, pre-
>    cisely, is the benefit of static typing?
>    There are a number of legitimate
>    answers.  It occurs to me that, without
>    precision on which interest you, we
>    might be missing an opportunity to
>    clarify "The Python Way" significantly.

The typing errors that would not be found until runtime.

[John Roth]
That's actually where TDD shines - since "run time" is
about 10 seconds after writing the code, the number
of type errors that creap through is going to be somewhere
between none and very few.

At least, that's the case if you're using TDD religiously.
(I couldn't resist the pun, and I'm not at all sorry. [grin])
[/jr]

John Roth