Hiding console with program compiled in PY2EXE

Pieter Claerhout Pieter.Claerhout at Creo.com
Fri Dec 19 03:17:48 EST 2003

Specify the -windows option in the py2exe command line. Example:

python setup.py py2exe --windows

By default, if the script ends with .pyw, it will create a console-less GUI
app. If it ends with .py, it will create a console application. By using the
--console or --windows flags, you can control this behaviour.

What I normally do to freeze a program this way is the following:

1. I create an executable using the --console option.

2. Run it on a computer that doesn't have Python installed to make sure
every required part is present. If not, adjust and go back to step 1.

3. After the program is working fine, I run py2exe using the --windows
option to create the console-less GUI app.

4. Test it again.

It might be handy to wrap the main function of your application in a
try/except statement and redirect the traceback to a file so that you know
what went wrong if you run the application without the console window.

Cheers,

pieter