Reading and writing Mozilla-mail in python

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Dec 12 02:43:52 EST 2003

Tim Roberts wrote:

> Ralf is correct.  The UnixMailbox method uses tell and seek to remember
> file locations and return to them later.  Tell and seek on Windows are only
> valid with binary files; the \r\n to \n translation screws it up.

seek/tell works just fine on text files, as long as you only seek to
positions returned by tell (or to the beginning of the file).  This is
standard ANSI C behaviour, btw.

(from a quick glance at the mailbox code, I cannot find any case
where the mailbox doesn't use seek/tell in this way, but I might be
missing something...)

</F>