I see advice on how to debug a python module that hangs up the process

JD lists at webcrunchers.com
Tue Dec 16 22:03:05 CET 2003

This is another Python problem,   I think might be unrelated to
the earlier bug I found,  and eventually figured out how to
report it to Sourceforge.

This  is related to a question I have about Python hanging up
either from a shell,  or by importing a module.  This I would not
consider a bug,  but more on my inexperience with Python.

If my code causes Python to just hang up,  and not allowing me
to break out with control-C or control-D,   is there a way to
find out what's going on?    I don't think it's going into some
infinite loop,  because I can usually break out of them with
control-C.    What would cause the Python run-time system
to just loose things?    The console is dead,  but it echo's
carriage returns but that's all it does.  The only way I can
release it,  is to kill the process.

  Is there someone who I might contact
via phone to walk me through this? (Assuming I can't get adequate
information here? Or does anyone care about Python bugs?) This is in
Python 2.3.3c1 on OpenBSD (though I doubt the OS matters). The symptom
that I run my program and Python locks up. I cannot control-C or
to get out of it; I have to log in separately and kill -9 the process.
process is listed as "D+" while it is hung, though it doesn't seem to be
accessing the disk, and I'm quite sure there are no disk problems
I'm not physically next to the server, so I can't check the drive LED).

How should I approach debugging this? Are there Python tools? Or should
use gdb? ktrace? systrace? I'm assuming I have to do this, as a bug
which reads "Python locks up" isn't too useful.