UserLinux chooses Python as "interpretive language" of choice

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Fri Dec 19 20:22:38 EST 2003

"Steve Lamb" <grey at despair.dmiyu.org> wrote in message
news:slrnbu77jp.nh8.grey at dmiyu.org...
> On 2003-12-20, John Roth <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote:
> > a third is the ability to forget the empty parenthesis after
> > a function/method call that doesn't require parameters.
>
> class ThisIs:
>     avariable = 'a'
>     def amethod(self):
>         return 'b'
>
> thisis = ThisIs()
> print thisis.avariable
> print thisis.amethod()
> import this
> print "Read line 2."

I'm not sure what your point is. Your example isn't going
to produce the expected result if you say:

print thisis.amethod

instead of

print thisis.amethod()

That is the place where I find Ruby syntax to be
helpful: the amount of time where I want the method /
function object is *far* lower than the amount of
time I want to call it. It's one of those conundrums
that doesn't seem to have a clean answer, though.

John Roth