True standard Windows app in Python?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 29 23:28:42 CET 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:25:56 -0700, "Dave Brueck"
<dave at pythonapocrypha.com> wrote:
> > If you want to get the Windows "kite-mark" then probably Python
> > is not the best solution
>
> Why? Just curious, but what specifically are you thinking of? The OP's question
> was pretty vague, so it's hard to tell what the question was really about.

Well for example writing a fully windows compliant screne saver
is impossible using Python because the MFC classes don;t give
access to all the functions you need. There are lots of non
compliant screen savers out there but they dont get the "fully
compliant" badge...

> Hmmm... most Windows programs are purely event driven and therefore spend
> oodles and oodles of time idle waiting for user input. If in fact most are
> still written in C++ I'd say it has more to do with habit and/or tools like
> Visual Studio rather than because of performance reasons.

Consumer magazines persist in benchmatrking performance on things
like search/replace operations etc. You need those benchmark
operations to go full spped to beat the opposituion. Stupid
but a fact of shrinkwrap life...

> > and because you get access to all the windows stiuff when you
> > need it.
>
> That's what ctypes is for. :)

Gives you access to the types but not the low level win32 APIs.
Of course you can write C wrappers for python, but then its no
longer really a Python app.

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website