[Python-Dev] rexec.py unuseable

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Dec 16 14:39:37 EST 2003

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

>  i think the only really sensible way forward is to begin from a
>  sound basis - one that is going to be a big job to add retrospectively,
>  but a simple beginning can be made.
>
>  proposal: how about building ACLs into the python codebase?

I fail to see how ACLs are a sound basis to solve the problem that
rexec solves. ACLs, in my view, are a sound basis to solve a different
problem (that of different identities accessing the same resources).

Also, it seems that nowhere in your proposal you state how ACLs should
be integrated into Python: I.e. what objects are protected by ACLs,
and how do you classify the various actions in a Python program as
read/write/execute/modify_acl? E.g. given

  3 * 4

Is that read, write, execute, and which ACL(s) is(are) considered?

Regards,
Martin