Is anyone using Python for .NET?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Wed Dec 17 14:38:20 EST 2003

"Richard Brodie" <R.Brodie at rl.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<brpop1$1636 at newton.cc.rl.ac.uk>...
> "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.247.1071669014.9307.python-list at python.org...
>
> > eh?  are you saying that all Hejlsberg knows about programming language
> > design is stuff he picked up while working on a Java implementation?
>
> Surely not. There is little doubt that C# was in part a reaction to the
> failure of J++ to be a serious competitor to Java.

Indeed. It would take quite an active imagination and a lot of history
rewriting to conclude otherwise. As for Mr Hejlsberg's credentials, I
personally don't regard him as being part of the pantheon of great
language designers - perhaps that's because Object Pascal really isn't
my thing, I suppose.

> Whether you regard it as taking a lead, or following Sun, is largely a
> matter of interpretation. That is independent of Hejlsberg's ability as a
> language designer.

Yes, although my point could presumably be undermined by pointing out
that C# and the .NET runtime are two separate things. Whether they are
completely separate, or whether there is undue influence on the latter
by the former, is an issue that the recently announced IronPython will
presumably investigate.

Paul