Storing objects required by functions.

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Tue Dec 30 19:19:19 EST 2003

"Jp Calderone" <exarkun at intarweb.us> wrote in message
news:mailman.58.1072824331.8134.python-list at python.org...
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 03:22:09PM -0500, John Roth wrote:
> > Could you please *not* add whatever signature or business
> > card or whatever you're adding to your messages? My anti-virus
> > blocks access to your entire message when you do that,
> > and it's a royal pain to save the message and then disassemble
> > it to find you made one line of comment.
> >
> > John Roth
> >
> > "Jp Calderone" <exarkun at intarweb.us> wrote in message
> > news:mailman.51.1072812951.8134.python-list at python.org...
> >

>   It's a PGP signature.  If the mail client you're using can't extricate
the
> plaintext part, I'd say it isn't a very good mail client.  (Even mailman's
> archiver deals with them the right way these days ;)

Actually, whatever is doing it simply sequesters almost anything,
including perfectly innocuous graphics. The difficulty is that the
mail client still displays most of the sequestered attachments, but
for some reason if it can't figure out one attachment, it doesn't
display any of them.

That means I've got to save the entire mail and use a command line
tool to break it into pieces. Python's mail tools do a reasonable
(not excellent) job of this, so nothing is lost, but it's more work
than I usually want to go through for newsgroup messages.

John Roth