ANN: pythonfs - create linux filesystems in python

David McNab david at
Mon Dec 8 14:18:29 CET 2003

Rene Pijlman wrote:
|>a framework which allows mountable linux filesystems to be
|>implemented in pure python.
| Serious question: why?

Serious answer - why *not*?

Basically, the 'file/directory' tree paradigm comes in handy in a lot of
different ways. In fact, one of the original Unix claims to fame was and
is the 'everything is a file' concept.

If you look at the LUFS site (, you'll see a bunch of
experimental filesystems, including (of all things!) gnutellafs.

So once someone has decided to offer a filesystem interface for
something, it can be an immense boost to be able to implement the thing
in Python, which on average takes a fraction of the time it takes to
write similar in C.

When first learning Python, I had a dramatic experience of Python's
leverage, when I had to implement the same set of functions in Python
and C. They took about 20 minutes to implement and debug in Python, but
over 2 hours in C (even though I worked as a senior C developer for 10

- --

Kind regards

- --

leave this line intact so your email gets through my junk mail filter
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -