Pygtk, libglade

Vams gte181u at
Wed Dec 10 01:05:06 CET 2003

Hi everyone,
   I got a little problem that I hope someone can help me out w/ or
atleast point me in the right direction.

- I have a python program that continuously runs and does some tasks
automatically on a daily basis.
- Now, I want to create a gtk frontend that displays its status and
provides an exit button so I don't need to keep sending the daemon a
kill signal.

What I wanted to do:
- make a class that creates the GUI using libglade and pygtk.
- create the GUI using the outside class and make a function within my
main program that continuously updates the GUI instance when called on.

The GUI won't show up w/o calling this function.  And if I do call this
function, the control of my program will stay in the mainloop until it
exists (GUI closes).  This stops the daemon from doing what it normally

So, what do I need to do?  Should I have the gtk.main() in its own
thread or something?  Or can I somehow extend the gtk.main() so that it
does my program's tasks while keeping an eye on the GUI?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,