callable classes

Duncan Smith buzzard at urubu.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 29 11:02:50 EST 2003

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote in message
news:_bydnV23friKY3CiRVn-gQ at comcast.com...

> "Duncan Smith" <buzzard at urubu.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:bskkig$sf6$1 at news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > > What do you mean by 'callable class'? Classes are callables. Ot you
> mean
> > >   a class that defines __call__ method? In this case it's really
> useful.
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > anton.
> >
> > Yes, I meant a class that defines a __call__ method.  Cheers.
>
> Which makes the *instances* callable, so you meant 'class with callable
> instances'.
>
> TJR

Yes.  From what I can gather from reverse engineering other's code is that
the approach I am investigating is to create a single (global) callable
instance when the module is imported.  Something like,

pointwise_operation = pointwise_operation()

Then in the class where I originally had the pointwise methods I need
something like, e.g.,

def __mul__(self, other): return pointwise_operation.multiply(self, other)

I'm just not clear what the advantages / disadvantages are over just leaving
all the pointwise operation methods in the original class.  BTW it first
occurred to me to do this after reading Numeric's MA.py.

Duncan