Is anyone using Python for .NET?

Simon B bowwnz at telstra.com
Tue Dec 23 21:25:06 EST 2003

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>>My opinion on why MS did take the .NET path is based on the premise that
>>they are only really interested in Operating Systems, which isn't too
>>bigger a stretch. They want to sell operating systems, and part of the
>>reason corporations don't upgrade to the lastest version until they
>>absolutely have to (and even then, they often don't!) is because they
>>have invested big money in software that will require considerable
>>testing and/or modification and/or risk if the underlying OS changes.
>>
>>.NET solves that problem for Microsoft.
>

> Does it?  What if in so doing, only .NET has value, and OSes have no value!
> W2K with .NET, XP with .NET, makes no difference.  Stuff still runs.  But
> they do get to sell Visual Studio, and they can patent screw Linux.

There be the risk... And it is a big gamble unless, as you point out,
they somehow screw the non-MS implementation users of .NET with patent
calls.

Also, they may feel that .NET + MS infrastructure (COM+, MSSQL, MSMQ)
might create enough of a platform tie-in to protect them from the vast
majority of migration paths to other OSes.

They might even trully believe their own TCO marketing... :)

.NET has seems to me like the most dangerous thing MS has ever done...
but considering Emulation of the Win32API was just a matter of time
(Wine, etc.) perhaps the laywers really do have everything in hand with
.NET?