portable development -- python for the pda?

Mark Lutz lutz at rmi.net
Tue Dec 2 01:54:18 EST 2003

Dave Reed <drlinux at columbus.rr.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1122.1069887869.702.python-list at python.org>...
> On Wednesday 26 November 2003 17:02, Clark C. Evans wrote:
> > Hello.  I'm going to be doing quite a bit of travel in January and
> > I'd like to continue to program on-the-road.  So, I'm in the market
> > to buy a PDA with a fullsize (foldable) keyboard.  [...]
>
> Python runs great on the Sharp Zaurus. I can personally speak for the
> 5500 but I suspect it runs fine on the 5600 and the new one that's
> only officially available in Europe and/or Asia. [...]

I'm using Python on a Sharp Zaurus C760 these days,
one of the Japan models that you can get converted
to English from a number of importers.  It comes
with a full VGA (640x480) swivel screen, and a nice
keyboard.  The keyboard isn't full size, but it's
much better than the thumbs-key input of most PDAs.

Python runs well on this machine too, with the Sharp
ROM; you can code and run both console and Qtopia
GUI applications.  You can also run vim, gcc, mySql,
SQLite, Apache, and so on.  With gcc, you can even
code and compile Python C extensions right on the PDA.
There's a new X11 ROM as well (haven't tried it yet).

For me, this PDA is very close to a full laptop
replacement, and utterly blows away the best of
the Palm devices I've owned.  The combination of
Linux and Sharp hardware is downright amazing.
If you want a Python to go, this PDA seems ideal.
More details, and a few photos:

http://www.rmi.net/~lutz/pic22.html
http://www.rmi.net/~lutz/pp2e-updates.html#Ss

BTW, Sharp just released a new C860 clamshell model
(essentially the same as the C760), and is going
to release a 6000 non-clamshell in January (nicer
screen, to be sold in the US).  Any one of these
would be a good choice, but the landscape-oriented
keyboards on the clamshell models are a bonus to me.

--Mark Lutz  (http://www.rmi.net/~lutz)