"Do this, and come back when you're done"

Nick Vargish nav+posts at bandersnatch.org
Mon Dec 15 14:19:31 EST 2003

Kamus of Kadizhar <yan at NsOeSiPnAeMr.com> writes:

> No, actually, both machines are under my control (and in my house).
> I'm slinging large (1GB MOL) files around on an unreliable, slow
> wireless network.  I am trying to detect an incomplete copy across the
> network.

If you're checking for incomplete copies, then md5 is overkill. Just
make sure the file sizes match.

If you're checking for corruption, then maybe doing an md5 sum would
help, but again, you only need to do that if the files are the same
size.

The Python Cookbook site has a recipe that lets you farm out "jobs" to
"worker threads", which might help you if you do go with checksumming
every file:

  http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/203871

Nick

--
#  sigmask  ||  0.2  ||  20030107  ||  public domain  ||  feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')