function-arguments by reference

EsC christian.eslbauer at liwest.at
Tue Dec 30 10:56:17 EST 2003

hy!

thanks for your explanations!

i want to avoid performance-problems by repeated (very often)
function-calls with very long strings.
in some languages (C, PHP, Powerbuilder, ...) i have the opportunity,
to pass "by value" or "by reference/pointer)".

"by value": the CPU must perform a complete copy of the string
"by reference/pointer": only a long value (address) is passed ...
the performance difference is in most cases unimportant, but sometimes ...

Unfortunately i made an error by testing the behavior of Phyton, and
so i thougt, LISTs are also passed "by value".
But this isn't true, and so i can solve my problem by putting the string-
argument in the first place of a list.

greetings
iolo

news:79v2vv0ijgdvqu354uh4mh21v4b3liurj0 at 4ax.com...