HDD Burn In with Python

hokieghal99 hokiegal99 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 09:20:42 EST 2003

Irmen de Jong wrote:

> Just letting your harddisk work hard for a long time doesn't
> require optimized C code. Python is perfectly suitable for that.

Yes, I agree! Now, if I only knew how to conduct a proper stress test.
Read, write, verify reads & writes... would that be sufficient?

> The only problem is, that for a true harddisk stress test, you
> will want to access sectors all over the disk. I'm not aware of
> any mechanism to do that with portable Python...
> (although you could format the disk in one huge partition and
> then write random files to it until the disk is full).

That's an idea. But what approach might one take if there were already
files and folders on the volume that should not be destroyed? Some type
of non-destructive test?