Case sensitive and ludicrous statements

Mark Jackson mjackson at
Mon Dec 8 03:05:37 CET 2003

"Robert Brewer" <fumanchu at> writes:
> Douglas Alan wrote:
> > IfCamelCaseWereAGoodIdeaEvenInACaseSensitiveLanguage,thenPeopl
> > eWouldWriteLike
> > ThisAllTheTime.
> The Greeks did that quite often. Some ideas take time.

[.sig from February 1993]

Re. CamelCase and SmallTalk:  ISTR that the Alto keyboard lacked an
underscore character (I believe the character code was used for
left-arrow, which I vaguely recall was used for assignment in BCPL
and/or Mesa).  As constructions like foo_bar are the obvious
alternative to FooBar, could this lack have been a factor at PARC?

Mark Jackson -
  Consistently separating words by spaces became a general custom about the tenth
  century A.D., and lasted until about 1957, when FORTRAN abandoned the practice.
				- Sun FORTRAN Reference Manual