check disc space

Gerrit Holl gerrit at
Thu Dec 11 16:33:39 CET 2003

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> (a third argument is that "free disc space" is a rather meaningless metric
> on a modern operating system; it's hardly ever useful for anything except
> "warning, warning, less than 5% free space" alerts.  you really don't want
> people to write "if os.getfreespace() >= len(buffer): f.write(buffer)" and
> file a bug when write fails ;-)

Well, I think that for installation programs, downloaders and file
managers, for example, it would be useful.

122. If any one give another silver, gold, or anything else to keep, he
shall show everything to some witness, draw up a contract, and then hand
it over for safe keeping.
          -- 1780 BC, Hammurabi, Code of Law
Asperger's Syndrome - a personal approach: