Python, xml, databases, ...

Zunbeltz Izaola zunbeltz at wm.lc.ehu.es.XXX
Wed Dec 3 06:23:29 EST 2003

> I think you want to be clear whether you want a database or not.  If you
> want to put the data into a database, you probably do not want to also put
> it into a file structure.  Although you certainly could then store to file
> in the database, I think you would end up loosing the usefulness of one or
> the other (or both).

I think i prefer first to store the information in a file. And then
see while the program is growing if it worth to use a database.

> > What tool are suitable for this task? I have read somethin
> > about MySQL and PostgreSQL, but i think they are only for servers, no
> > for program, is that all right?
>
> What do you mean by 'they are only for servers'?
>
> Any machine can run a service (such as MySQL or PostgreSQL), and if it
> offers that service to other machines then it is acting as 'server', or it
> can just use it locally.

Up, I concept missundertand of mine. I want to know if
MySQL/PostgreSQL are only used in large web servers and such things,
or are also used in small programs that both the server and client
runs localy.

> What platform are you planning to run this on?  If it is Linux, then either
> MySQL or PostgreSQL are easy options - most distros have pre-compiled
> versions out of the box.

I want to have the program in both linux and windows.

> On Windows, both MySQL and PostgreSQL rely on the Cygwin dll.  It looks like
> MySQL has an easier Windows install, but their use of the cygwin dll
> outside of Cygwin proper has serious stability consequences if the user
> installs another cygwin based program.  PostgreSQL is a 'proper' cygwin
> program, but will be harder for non-unix/linux people to
> install/administer.
>
> You could also consider Firebird (http://firebird.sourceforge.net/) it has a
> native Windows version as well as a Unix/Linux version) or SQLite
> (http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/) with PySQLite
> (http://pysqlite.sourceforge.net/manual.html).
>
> There is also GadflyB5 (http://gadfly.sourceforge.net/) which looks like it
> is written in pure python.  There are probably other options too.

Can you give me an advaice about what has a better easy to
use/performance ratio.

> > I would build a GUI for the program (presumibly with wxPython). I want
> > to separate the GUI layer from the program layer. For comunication of
> > this two layer I have think in asyncore, but i have read something
> > about twisted and piro. Can anyone give my his/her opinion about this?
>
> Funny, I asked almost the same question about 20 minutes before you did.

I have no see the question yet :-)
Cheers,

zunbeltz

--