shy stackless Re: ANNOUNCE: xsdb -- the eXtremely Simple Database goes alpha

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 09:03:35 EST 2003

aaron at reportlab.com (Aaron Watters) wrote in
news:9a6d7d9d.0312110538.568014ef at posting.google.com:

> regarding the use of stackless in
> http://xsdb.sourceforge.net
> "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote in message
> news:<mailman.56.1071124178.9307.python-list at python.org>...
>> Aaron Watters wrote:
>> > 5) use an event loop and use a generator for the relevant code;
>> when you discover that you need to pause, yield to the framework.
>
> Please tell me I'm missing something, but I don't think
> this will really help.  The problem is that I need to "yield"
> or "suspend" or "send something across a channel" from about
> 45 places in the code some of which are arbitrarily deep into
> multiple recursions.  The generator thing will only allow
> me to go one level deep into a single call -- no?  By contrast
> the stackless.channel mechanism is a far more general construct,
> allowing me to "yield" at any point without restructuring the
> code at all.  Stackless rules.

The generator solution may not be appropriate for your task, but it isn't
entirely accurate to say that you can only go one level deep. You can (sort
of) yield from arbitrarily deep function nesting, or even from recursive
functions. The catch though is that you do have to write the code in a
slightly contorted manner in order to yield from below the first function.

The rule to follow is simply: any function which wants to yield, or which
calls a function that wants to yield has to be a generator and has to be
called from a 'for' loop which itself yields.

e.g. A generator that walks a tree recursively:

         def inorder(t):
             if t:
                 for x in inorder(t.left):
                     yield x