Python as a numerical prototyping language.

Mark Dufour m.dufour at
Wed Dec 17 11:41:16 CET 2003

> When operations are done on individual objects Python is significantly
> slower than compiled languages but psyco is making great progress in this
> area. It already approaches the performance of C for simple code using
> only integers and floats.

What are the opinions about Psyco being able to achieve the same great
speedups for non-simple code at some point in the future? Is the looking up
of methods/attributes during run-time the biggest problem here? I would
assume that with ever-increasing computer speeds there's no theoretical limit
to what might be possible here.. exciting stuff, this!

Mark Dufour.
"The employment agency has selected an immature and unproven software package
and its functionality is at the best close to Office 97," said Microsoft