diferences between 22 and python 23

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 7 12:37:33 EST 2003

"Neil Hodgson" <nhodgson at bigpond.net.au> writes:

>    Ruby 2.0 will probably implement strings with encoding attributes. The
> developers want to avoid changing encoding whenever possible.

Yes, but Ruby was very bad at Unicode all the time. Also "Ruby will"
is a weak statement - AFAICT Ruby 2 is about the same mythical
implementation that P3k is.

> One posting I saw had joining strings with different encodings as an
> error although I don't know if this has been finalised. I doubt
> whether it will work well, so I think the best approach for Python
> is to watch Ruby and if it is successful then copy. "m17n" is the
> magic googling term

Well, yes. I also doubt it will work; Ruby has traditionally supported
only a single encoding at the time well, and focused on the Japanese
ones primarily.

Regards,
Martin