codecs latin1 unicode standard output file

Marko Faldix marko.faldix.tudisweck at
Mon Dec 15 11:04:04 CET 2003

with Python 2.3 I can write umlauts (a,o,u umlaut) to a file with this piece
of code:

    import codecs

    f ="klotentest.txt", "w", "latin-1")
    print >>f, unicode("My umlauts are ä, ö, ü", "latin-1")

This works fine. This is not exactly what I wanted to have. I would like to
write this to standard output so that I can use same code to produce output
lines on console or to use this to pipe into file. It was possible before
Python 2.3. Isn't possible anymore with same code?

Marko Faldix
M+R Infosysteme
Hubert-Wienen-Str. 24     52070 Aachen
Tel.: 0241-93878-16     Fax.:0241-875095
E-Mail: markopointfaldix at mplusrpointde