What GUI toolkit looks the best?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.nospam at removeme.free.fr
Thu Dec 11 16:36:00 EST 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Brian Kelley <bkelley at wi.mit.edu> writes:

(snip)

>>I tend to use Tkinter for canvas heavy applications and wxPython for
>>other stuff.
>

> Is wxPython Windows specific?  I guess it is,

You lose.

> but can I port the
> screen layouts to some comparable Linux toolkit or anything like that?
> The screen shots for it do look really nice.
>

>>Here is my humble opinions in a nutshell (missing a lot here):
>>wxPython has a grid control to die for and many, many classes, good
>>printer support and looks like a native GTK app on Linux and a native
>>app on windows and macintosh.

Perhaps because it uses 'native' (ie : Gtk+, Motif, Windows native or
MacOS X native) toolkits ?-)

> Oh wow, yes I guess it's cross platform then.

You win !-)

>  Hmm, what Micro$oft
> tool do I need to build and run it?  Is Visual C++ enough?
Yeps. Or bcc, or mingw, or...

> I guess
> I can get the client to pay

Why ? It's free (as in free beer and free speech)

> for some stuff like that.  Also, is there
> a Glade-like drag and drop gui editor for it?

wxGlade.

And also boa, PythonCard...

> I don't know what I can really tell from these without more experience
> with them.  In particular, which is the most solid and reliable across
> a wide range of Windows versions (95, 98, ..., XP whatever)?  That
> matters too.

Can't tell you about that (I used wxWindows on win98 and NT4ws and
Linux/Gtk+, without any trouble but as in any non-trivial code, there
are bugs... no more no less than in MFC or Borland toolkits)

Bruno