[Python-Dev] rexec.py unuseable

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Dec 16 15:14:40 EST 2003

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

> > Also, it seems that nowhere in your proposal you state how ACLs should
> > be integrated into Python: I.e. what objects are protected by ACLs,
>
>  all objects - if an acl is non-null.

Does this include functions and bound and unbound methods?

> >   3 * 4
> >
> > Is that read, write, execute, and which ACL(s) is(are) considered?
>
>   execute, and execute only, because there's no I/O involved.
>
>   on the multiply operation.

So what operations require read or write access?

>   but _only_ if there's an actual ACL set _on_ the multiply function.
>
>   if there's no acl set on the multiply function, there's no
>   restrictions on the multiply function.

So ACLs on the objects 3 and 4 would be irrelevant?

Generalizing this, given a class Foo, with a method bar(), and two
instances foo1 and foo2:

foo1 = Foo("/etc/passwd")
foo2 = Foo("/tmp/nonexistant.yet")

and considering the calls foo1.bar() and foo2.bar():

Given that *only* the ACL on the operation bar matters: Does that mean
that the calls either both succeed or both fail, for a given caller?

Regards,
Martin