When to put my modules

Bob van der Poel bvdpoel at kootenay.com
Mon Dec 29 21:48:08 EST 2003

I'm working on a moderately sized application and I'm planning on having
a fair number of modules. The only question in my mind is: where do I
put the modules ... and how do I let python know about them?

I could put them with the rest  of the python lib, but I'm not really
presumtious to do that.

I can keep them all in the current directory, but that forces the user
to chd to a certain location all the time.

Best, I think, is to put them in a program specific location. My program
needs some other data files, etc. so I'm thinking that I can just put
the python stuff in /usr/local/lib/MYPROGRAM/modules.

Okay, but what about when I'm just working on them? In this case I'd
like them to be in my current working dir.

Is there a magic line I need to add to the top of the main module to set
the path up?

Apologies if this is covered in a document...but I can't see to find
anything. Maybe this is a faq?

EMAIL: bvdpoel at kootenay.com
WWW:   http://www.kootenay.com/~bvdpoel