return statement in functions

BW Glitch bwglitch at hotpop.com
Mon Dec 22 21:45:54 EST 2003

hokiegal99 wrote:
> I was told earlier (w/o explanation) that functions should return
> something. I was under the impression that it was OK with Python to
> leave the return statement off. Could someone enlighten me on why or
> why not to use a return statement when defining functions? Below is
> the bit of code I was told should return something:
>
> def fs_object_count(path):
>    file_count = 0
>    dir_count = 0
>    for root, dirs, files in os.walk(path):
>       file_count += len(files)
>       dir_count += len(dirs)
>    print "Number of Files Examined: ", file_count
>    print "Number of Folders Examined: ", dir_count
>    print "Total Number of FS Objects:", file_count + dir_count

All Python functions return None by default.

--
Glitch

-----BEGIN TF FAN CODE BLOCK-----
G+++ G1 G2+ BW++++ MW++ BM+ Rid+ Arm-- FR+ FW-
#3 D+ ADA N++ W OQP MUSH- BC- CN++ OM P75
-----END TF FAN CODE BLOCK-----

"I can suffer your treachery, Lieutenant ... but NOT your
incompetence! ... Treachery requires NO mistakes."
         -- Megatron to Tarantulas, "Master Blaster"