cPickle from 2.2 to 2.1

remco remco at localhost
Mon Dec 15 06:48:44 EST 2003

paul <paul.koelle at archit.uni-weimar.de> wrote:

>Thanks for pointing that out (seems rather obvious now ;). I thought
>pickle is a fast and convenient method to store/restore data. Now I see
>the drawbacks.

These drawbacks (backward/forward incompatibilities) occur nearly
everywhere. I've used the Berkley db module, when it got updated, i had to
deinstall Python, reinstall an old version, check out all my data to
another format, deinstall the older python, and reinstall the latest
version. Next i had to create a new Berkley database and put the data back
in.

And i thought Berkley would never change again :))

>BTW: It was a hack to avoid the xml.dom.minidom/unicode/non ASCII
>charset/codec/writer mess. Seems like I have to look at that once more.

Therefore i use libxml2 instead of minidom, have once written a nice
function that will quote all the unicode stuff
you're problems will be over. On the other hand, you can't edit pickled
data with text editor. With xml you can, so it's an advantage. If this
doesn't matter: why not UUencode any unicode string when writing it to the
xml?
It worked for me..

And last but not least; there's allways the old .ini format 8)

Cheers
Remco Boerma