Can Python be run off of a CD-ROM?

Arthur ajs at
Tue Dec 2 07:58:25 CET 2003

> Hi all,
> I teach middle school and am currently trying to bring some computer
> to the students. Our district has a wonderfully linked network throughout
> all our schools... done via MS Windows Network. In order to protect the
> network, our district's IT department does not want things installed on
> system (or at least makes it VERY difficult to get it done). SO, I am
> MSW Logo installed onto a CD-ROM... we just stick in the CD-ROMS and run
> off of them.

I would take a look at Knoppix:

Its a bootable iso image of a Gnu/Linux operating system which has recent
Python distro included. Linux being a Very Good Thing for educational use,

Perhaps even better for your purposes is

Live CD-ROM of free software for schools

Knoppix based, stocked with free educational software meant for the grade
levels you are concerned with.

What I don't know if either has IDLE readily accessible.  Certainly Freeduc
should, if it doesn't.